Our allotment has been full to bursting this year and for the first time I grew beetroot.
I’ve used some in salads, and have also roasted some, Jamie Oliver style. Yum!
Today, however, I decided to make a Chocolate and Beetroot cake.
I searched the internet for a recipe and found this easy to follow one on the Tesco website.
I don’t have a food processor at the present time so used an electric food chopper to blend the beetroot and to finely chop the chocolate.
I used an electric mixer to add the eggs and a wooden spoon to mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
To sprinkle the icing sugar I used a tea strainer.
For a first attempt I was really happy with the outcome as were my neighbours who dropped by for tea!
- 50g cocoa powder
- 175g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 200g caster sugar
- 250g cooked beetroot
- 3 medium eggs
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 100g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to gas 4, 180 ° C, fan 160 ° C
- Grease and line the bottom of a 23cm spring form cake tin
- Sieve the cocoa, flour, baking powder and sugar into a large mixing bowl
- Drain and halve the beetroot
- Blend in a food processor
- With the machine running, add the eggs one at a time
- Pour in the oil
- Blend the mixture until smooth
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients
- Mix in the chocolate
- Pour into the tin and cook for 45 minutes or until a skewer or cocktail stick comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes
- Turn out and leave to cool
- Dust the cake with icing sugar before serving