I arose early this morning, around 6am, so that I could set about some sewing before my working day began.

Duvet covers and pillowcases are hitting the headlines lately due to Coronavirus and the necessity to sew face masks and scrubs. I can proudly say that I have made a number of masks from a patterned quilt cover for myself, my immediate family, and key workers.

Today, however, I wanted to make some cushion covers from a candy stripe pink and white quilt cover. I had had the idea that I could incorporate the fastenings already incorporated in the cover to act as popper fastenings on the cushions, thus saving myself some work.

I had in stock some 16″ square feather filled cushion pads that would be ideal for my plan.

I didn’t use a pattern as such as the stripes on the fabric made marking out the size with a tape measure really easy.

I decided to use pinking shears to cut out the covers as this would mitigate the necessity to oversew the raw edges.

By 7.30am I was the proud owner of two new scatter cushions which matched my recently painted bistro chairs beautifully.

As an added bonus the size of the finished cushion fitted the swing precisely too.

And all that achieved before breakfast.

I might make a matching table cloth next.

Happy days!