I found this wonderful Blueberry & Lemon Loaf Cake recipe in July’s Country Living Magazine. I don’t know about you but I love all things blueberry. There was an article in the same magazine extolling their virtues.
They’re hailed as a superfood because:
- They protect cells against free radicals which may cause heart disease and cancer.
- They are rich in anthocyanin, a phytonutrient that encourages good gut bacteria.
- Being relatively low in sugar and rich in fibre gives them a low glycemic load. This means that they could improve insulin sensitivity and prevent spikes in blood sugar.
Follow the step by step guide below to make this special treat.
Ingredients for Blueberry & Lemon Loaf Cake
- 50ml vegetable oil, plus extra to grease
- 200g self-raising flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 200g (260ml) soured cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 125g blueberries
For the icing
- 75g icing sugar, sifted
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
To decorate, optional
- 50g blueberries
- Pared lemon zest
- Edible flowers, optional
Method for Blueberry & Lemon Loaf Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan oven) gas mark 4
- Grease and line a 900g loaf tin (21cm long x 11cm wide x 7cm deep) with baking parchment
- In large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and a pinch of fine salt to combine
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the blueberries, and whisk briefly until just combined (a few lumps are a good thing in this recipe)
- Fold in 100g of the blueberries and turn the mixture into the prepared tin
- Scatter the remaining berries
- Bake for about 1 hour-1 hour 10 minutes, or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then gently ease out and leave to completely cool on a wire rack
- Mix the icing ingredients in a small bowl until smooth, then drizzle over the cooled cake
- Scatter over the blueberries, lemon zest and edible flowers, if you like
Click on this link for more seasonal food recipes from Country Living magazine
Click on this link for a tried and tested recipe for Vegan Blueberry Muffins