I’ve had this recipe in my file for so long that I had forgotten where it had come from. The only reference was to “Blythe”…
A quick bit of research this morning reveals that this healthier version was created by Gwyneth Paltrow. Her inspiration came from her mother, Blythe Danner’s, recipe.
I have used it a several times and, if followed precisely, the end result is a healthier version of a Blueberry Muffin as the recipe does not use any white sugar. They are also vegan.
Give it a go. I’m sure you’ll love them.
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 125ml soya milk
- 125ml real Vermont maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons light agave nectar
- 100g white spelt flour
- 125g whole spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 300g fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan /gas 5
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases
- Mix the wet ingredients together
- Stir in the dry ingredients
- Fold in the blueberries
- Divide between the paper cases
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown
- To test, if cooked, insert a cocktail stick or skewer in the centre of a muffin – if it comes out clean the muffins are ready
- Leave to cool before eating
I have also made these muffins substituting the blueberries for dark chocolate broken up into tiny pieces. No doubt far less healthy, but I know which ones the children preferred!