Before. Farmhouse style dining

Living in a cottage in the current climate of pared-back schemes and mid-century style furnishings is quite challenging.

I feel as though I want to push the walls out to achieve more space.

In my dining room I have addressed this by taking a few simple steps to gain a more up-to-date and spacious style.

After. A more modern approach

It has been a gradual process but at last I have a room that, without looking cluttered, provides an armchair that overlooks the garden and a dining table that comfortably seats six to eight guests.

Comparing the two photographs above is almost like playing a game of “spot the difference” as many of the components remain the same.

Step 1

One of the first steps I took was to replace the patterned rug and curtains for plain pale grey ones. Instantly one’s eye is drawn to the view of the garden making the room feel light an airy.

Step 2

By swapping the yellow painted table for one with a plain oak top the room immediately had a more cohesive feel as the replacement table tied in with the existing dressers.

Part of my plan was to create a quiet, contemplative corner where I could sit and read a book, or where I could sit and gaze out into the garden as the sun rose in the early morning.

John Sankey slipper chair

My John Sankey slipper chair seemed to be the ideal seat for his purpose however once in position it did not leave much circulation space which was a problem. It became apparent that the table could not remain central to the room; it would have to be moved away from the armchair to allow access to the door to the garden.

This created two issues; firstly the dresser would have to be moved and secondly the central light pendant would have to be taken down and an alternative light source found. These were not tasks for the feint hearted!

Step 3

Moving the dresser was not too terrible. Once emptied I slipped a soft mat beneath it and was able to slide it across the floor. (I should add this did entail putting most of the dining furniture in the garden pro-temp but at least it was a dry day).

Step 4

My solution for a replacement light source was to buy an arc floor lamp. There was a huge number to choose from but I settled for this moderately priced one from Heal’s. Putting it together was quite tricky so I was very relieved when its arc spanned the table perfectly.

Heal’s arc floor lamp

Turning my attention back to the dresser I was really pleased with its new position below my lovely black mirror. A pair of black lamps provide soft lighting.

Quite by chance I stumbled upon an image on the Neptune website. The picture was of a row of console tables placed on top of a run of kitchen worktops. It was stunning and as a consequence my brain went into overdrive as I thought about the Baker’s rack that was sitting in my store collecting dust.

Step 5

Without further ado I retrieved the rack from its dusty corner and measured its dimensions. Not wishing to take a chance I lay it on some cardboard on the floor and drew around its shape.

Baker’s rack template

Armed with template I was able to determine how much adjustment the rack would need for it to provide the perfect home for my “bar”.

With the legs cut down and toughened glass shelves manufactured to fit the unit I placed it atop the dresser. Ta dah…

The last items to be sourced for the room were some new dining chairs. I spent much time looking at the options, even considering benches at one stage.

Step 6

Finally I opted for six Charcoal coloured Stafford chairs from OKA. New this season they match perfectly with the black accessories in the room, including my much loved slipper chair. Their simple shape combined with velvet upholstery and metal studs match the room very well.

Linen slip cover for OKA Stafford Chair

I also invested in a set of natural linen slip covers thus providing protection and/or a completely new scheme should I desire.

Guest ready

Finally, the room was guest ready and the first diners enjoyed supper at our’s at the weekend.

I’ll raise a glass to that!