This super-duper Oaty Apple Crumble recipe was featured in the February 2021 issue of Country Living magazine. I served it with salted caramel ice cream which was particularly delicious.
- 25g unsalted butter
- 900g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 25g caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the topping
- 100g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 125g plain flour
- 75g Demerara sugar
- 50g porridge oats
- Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan oven, gas mark 5
- Melt the butter in large frying pan over a medium heat and add the fruit
- Sprinkle over the caster sugar, 3 tablespoons of water, and the cinnamon
- Fry, stirring occasionally, until the apples begin to soften
- Tip into an oven proof serving dish or into individual ramekins
- To make the crumble, rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips (or pulse in a food processor) until the mixture resembles large breadcrumbs
- Stir in the Demerara sugar and oats
- Tip into a bowl and, using your hands, squeeze to form a few large clumps
- Spoon the crumble topping onto the apples
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden
- Serve with cream or ice cream
Rather than fry the fruit in butter, stew in a little water with 50g of sugar and the cinnamon.
I made individual oaty apple crumble desserts and froze the ones I didn’t use.
📸 Carolyn Hayter 📃 Hearst Food Network Magazine